15 February 2009

One stressful month

I know I started this blog and then vanished, but it has been a very busy and trying time this past month. When the baby was born he was a very lazy baby. I couldn't hardly get him to wake up to eat at all. I brought this to the nurses attention and she said that some babes were just like that and he would probably be fine in a few days. She also said she was really shocked that Caleb was nursing and latching on well because in the nursery she checked his suck and it was really really weak. So Caleb came home and we thought all was well. When we were discharged from the hospital he was 8 pounds 9oz so we had to get an appointment for a follow up with the Ped a couple days later. His weight at the follow up appointment was 8.6. The Dr thought everything was still ok because of him being soooo sleepy and she said she thought he would be ok. She checked his latch and said he had a great latch and she would see us in 2 weeks at his 2 week appointment.

At 2 weeks he was not up, he was down to 8.4. I had been doing everything possible to get him to be more alert and to wake up to eat better. He just would not. I used a cold cloth, we stripped him down to his diaper, we literally did everything and when I exhausted everything I knew to wake him I tried researching it. I had done everything on LLL and still he was losing weight. So at that point she wanted us to follwo each feed with some milk pumped. We tried that and he would spit it out when we used a dropper and when we tried a bottle he just chewed on it and milk went everywhere but in his mouth.

We then realized he was tongue tied. So at his next appointment we asked that it be clipped. She did and he was up to 8.5. We left there thinking again all would be well. The next appointment though a few days later he was again down to 8.4. I had done everything possible to get his weight up. I even tried squirting the milk into his mouth. She decided she wanted to have some tests ran and if those came out ok she wanted to admit him until she knew exactly what was wrong with him. So we had the tests done and those came back ok so they admitted us. We spent over 3 days in the local hospital while they poked my baby and we still knew nothing. Well we knew things he DIDN'T have but not things he DID have. I was doing everything possible still to get him fed and he got up one oz but they didn't think that was enough, so then we were transferred to Children's hospital. We spent 5 more days there and found out that the tongue tie not being clipped until 3 weeks did cause hm problems and that I had plenty of milk, he just cannot transfer it from my breast properly. So I started doing something I never wanted to do.....pumping and giving my baby a bottle. I was left with little choice because it is EXTREMELY important that my kiddos get MY milk and have never given them formula. I however have had a very hard time with the bottles....that is another post though:). He also is asymetric and this causes him also to not be able to transfer the milk properly. We are not sure what caused the asmetry yet, we have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow. I am working with OT for therapy for him and also lactation because we still hope that he will be able to nurse better with time and once he gets stronger. But this was a very scary experience. We had all these things they were testing for...things that there is no cure for and thankfully he is going to be ok. He is gaining weight like a little champ now...he still has not had one drop of formula and Mommy is a pumping Queen making sure that he gets only Momma milk. I will update as we find out more.

In all this the Lord has been so good. We have been blessed with wonderful friends who have been there with us through this. Most important our little Caleb is going to be ok and for that we are very blessed. The Lord gave us this blessing and this Momma is very thankful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment